Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Queen of Swords

By: Katee Robert

In an effort to temporarily beat down some personal demons that had been haunting her after the tragic loss of her entire crew, Ophelia Leoni spends a drunken night with Boone O'Keirna....never expecting to see him after that night.  The following morning, she is summoned home and informed that she will be marrying Prince Kristian and a ship is already en route to pick her up to bring her to him.  Ophelia, a tarot card reading Diviner, sees in the cards that this is her destiny, so she reluctantly agrees to do what is required of her.  The cards never lie, and the last time she disobeyed a reading it cost her the lives of her entire crew. She is not about to make that same mistake again.  So when a ship arrives shortly thereafter -with Boone coming to take her away- she climbs on board, thinking Boone is going to take her to prince Kristian. Little does Ophelia realize that Boone is actually there to kidnap her. 

What I liked about this story:  I don't often read sci-fi novels, as so many of them tend to be a bit unbalanced for my liking...but this book was nicely balanced. There was drama and romance, good character and plot development and the story moves along at a nice pace. There was a healthy blend of various alien races and planetary travel without being overbearing and complicated. Overall, this was perfectly done in my opinion.

What I didn'tlike about this story:  I hate to admit this, but I really didn't like Ophelia.  She grated on my nerves and I found her stubborness to be more of a liability than an asset.  Normally I like my heroines to be tough and independent but Ophelia carried these qualities too far and, by the end of the book, I just wanted to bitch slap her.  I enjoyed Jenny so much more and found myself wishing she were the heroine, instead of Ophelia.  Also, there were a few loose ends that the author didn't tie up for the reader. Nothing major, but I still had a few lingering questions when I was done reading.  What eventually became of Gee? Was he released or did he go to trial? Was he ever reunited with his Marcy? How bad were Gerard's injuries? I'm *assuming* he survived, but it would have been nice to get a few more details about his injuries and his recovery.  These questions have absolutely nothing to do with the overall outcome of the story, but they still left me wondering.

Overall, I enjoyed this story. It was fun and interesting to read and kept me entertained.  

Many thanks to Tara Gonzalez at Entangled Publishing for allowing me to review this DRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment